Data migration is integral to nearly every Salesforce implementation or integration project. Moving data between various systems can be loaded with challenges. It is important to plan for many areas: source and the destination, consequences of manipulating the data and the overall outcome of the entire data exercise. Whether migrating a handful of records or a million records, the success of the migration depends upon planning and understanding all requirements. Unfortunately, many jump in without an appropriate plan and this increases the risk for failure and maximizes the challenges faced during a data migration.
Plan, plan and plan
When putting a plan in place, there are key areas that must be accounted for and examined.
- Create a plan of attack early! Use a spreadsheet or word document, and then create a checklist of things necessary to take it forward and migrate your data properly.
- Organization is very important. Focus on size, complexity and the impact of the migration.
- Understand the data. Understanding where the data is originating from and the purpose. The key to a successful migration is really understanding the data.
- Plan must include both Salesforce and external tasks. In the majority of cases, the data lies in disparate systems and external systems. Understand how the data should be interpreted and utilized. This will enable a more successful data migration or integration with Salesforce.
If you can’t measure the impact, you can’t manage it
Understanding the impact and planning for a data migration starts with asking the right questions. For example:
- What are the consequences if data is loaded during a busy work day?
- What happens if automated processes are not turned off during a migration?
- How will loading data impact process, builders, flows and apex triggers?
- Who will be impacted by a data migration or integration?
Questions like these and, more importantly, the answers will reduce negative outcomes. Not all processes are designed to handle bulk data loading. Make an effort to identify which processes need to be turned off and when. This type of data and process planning will reduce the number of errors and failures. Additionally, understand the user impact. Identify what data changes will impact the end-users and educate all users regarding any excepted changes.
Three things you need to know about Salesforce format requirements
When it comes to migrating data into Salesforce, there are rules and requirements. When creating a data migration plan, be sure the data and Salesforce are speaking the same language.
When it comes to loading data into Salesforce keep in mind:
- Data from an external system must be formatted according to Salesforce guidelines.
- Salesforce has strict import requirements.
- Be aware of what Salesforce will and will not allow.
Ready, Set, Go!
Once you are prepared with a plan of attack and you are ready to implement and take action. During the entire migration process, it is important to keep track of everything by reviewing and validating. This validation and following a checklist will help you to stay on track and with a positive outcome! Successfully loading the data is an achievement, but it is critical to validate all data before concluding the migration as final and successful.
Prime is an industry leading Data Migration Expert and Consultant
Salesforce data migration has a much lower success rate without an experience partner. Prime is that Partner. The core of Prime’s Salesforce Consulting Services is our highly differentiated technical expertise in Salesforce integrations, migrations and customizations.
When it comes to your data migration, Prime Technology Group will ensure that you are able to achieve all of the following:
- Discovery and requirements definition for a data migration, customizations and/or integration.
- Clearly defined plan with a clear list of requirements.
- Executing and implementing data migration, customization and/or integrations.
- Ensuring all data is in the correct Salesforce format
- Validating all data was migrated successfully
- Providing ongoing Salesforce support.
Prime is a partner who will understand your entire process and customize any changes you may have on your wish list. Learn more how Prime can help you get the most out of your Salesforce Solution.